Monday Munchies: Corn Cakes With Grilled TomatoesTake a peak into the inner workings of my kitchen and try this new healthy recipe by putting a twist on the veggies you use daily. - Tony Monday Munchies: Corn Cakes With Grilled Tomatoes
- 1/2 lrg ear of fresh corn
- 1/3 cup 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 x egg
- 1/2 x ( a little lowfat milk)
- 1 lrg , hard tomatoes
- 1/2 x garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 x - 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for shallow-frying
- 1/2 x ( salt)
- 1/2 x ( freshly grnd black pepper)
- 4 x cupped iceberg lettuce leaves, to serve
- 1/2 x ( shredded fresh basil leaves, to garnish)
The ingredients have been scaled to 2 servings. These directions are for 4 servings.
- 1. Pull the husks and silk away from the corn, then hold the ear upright on a board and cut downward with a heavy knife to strip off the kernels. Put the kernels in a pan of boiling water and cook for 3 min after the water has returned to a boil, then drain and rinse under cool running water to cold quickly.
- 2. Put the flour in a bowl, make a well in the center and break the egg into it. Start stirring with a fork, adding a little lowfat milk to make a soft dropping consistency. Stir in the liquid removed corn and season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Preheat the broiler. Halve the tomatoes horizontally and make two or possibly three crisscross slashes across the cut side of each half. Rub in the crushed garlic and the oregano and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and broil till lightly browned.
- 4. While the tomatoes broil, heat some oil in a wide frying pan and drop a Tbsp. of batter into the center. Cook the fritters one at a time over low heat, turning each one as soon as the top is set. Drain on paper towels and keep hot while cooking the remaining fritters. The mix should make at least eight corn cakes.
- 5. For each serving, put two corn cakes on lettuce leaves, garnish with basil and serve with a broiled tomato half.
- Serves 4