How to Make a Backyard Fire Pit
Create a cozy space for outdoor entertaining with a stone fire pit.
Tools and Materials:
- cast concrete wall stones
- cap stones
- tape measure
- steel rake
Before building a fire pit, check the building codes in your area to get the proper specs and regulations. Choose a spot that is away from your house and away from any low-hanging trees or other structures. Take precautions when digging holes, so that you don’t hit utility lines.
2. When you have your circle roughed out, dig a 12-inch-deep hole in that location.
3. Pour sand into the bottom of the hole and tamp the sand level.
4. Begin to lay your wall stones around the perimeter of the hole. Continue stacking the stones so that they are 12 inches above the surrounding ground.
5. Pour a layer of sand into the ring of stones so that it covers the first layer, approximately 4 inches deep.