Shoe Review: Merrell’s Mix Master 2
Let’s get one thing straight: the Mix Master 2 is light. In fact, it felt as light as my barefoot Trail Glove’s when I was working out or walking the local trails. For me, sometimes my barefoot shoes would be hard to take on long runs or trail hikes, so the added arch support in the new Mix Master 2 was a blessing on my legs.
Suffice to say, I still get good use out of my core barefoot shoes, but the Mix Master 2’s are a more than welcome addition to my shoe inventory, as they provide a necessary and still light addition to my activities.
One of the best attributes to the Mix Master 2, was how it molded to fit my foot perfectly; something I only had previously found in my barefoot shoes. After a few hours, my foot was solidly comfortable and was shaped into that little sweet spot we crave in a proper fit. With a 16mm heel, 12mm forefoot (weight comes in at under 10oz), the Mix Master 2 feels firm, but with a relaxed snug fit.
Things I liked about the Mix Master 2:
- Strobel construction offers flexibility and comfort.
- The Parrot color I am donning causes onlookers to say, “What? What?!” – just like an actual parrot.
- Reflective elements on the heel and forefoot for added visibility.
- The Fall foliage this time of the year was jealous of the luminous colors highlighting my feet. Those poor leaves…
- Merrell Float™ midsole is 10% thinner and 25% lighter to provide more feel and ground control.
- I saw Brosnan Pinchot wearing a pair at the farmer’s market last week.
Things I didn’t like about the Mix Master 2:
- Jealousy among friends as my feet become the center of attention at social functions.
- Jealousy among squirrels, chipmunks, and deer, as my feet become the center of attention on trail runs and hikes.
- They’re so light, when I put back on my other shoes it feels like I’m wading in water.
- My mother likes me to wear them at night because they are “bright” and will be “safe”. I’ll wear them whenever I feel like, mom! Gosh!
Specs - Price $110:
UPPER / LINING
• Synthetic leather and air mesh upper
• 2 mm EVA insole for comfort and shock absorption
• TPU overlay provides a secure fit
• Bellows tongue keeps debris out
• EVA anatomical footbed treated with Aegis® antimicrobial solution
MIDSOLE / OUTSOLE
• Low profile midsole 9 mm heel / 5 mm ball = 4m Drop
• Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability
• Forefoot shock absorption pad provides metatarsel protection
• 3 5 mm lugs for more street to trail feel
• Merrell Mix Sole / Sticky Rubber