New Haven Road Race Taking Place September 6, 2010
It’s that time again! The 2010 New Haven Road Race will be taking place September 6. The race has been the United States Men’s 20K National Championship since 1993 and the Women’s 20K National Championship since 2001.
This years’ event will feature opportunities for everyone to get involved, such as a Kids’ Fun run & a TShirt Design contest. Here’s the full rundown:
- USA 20K Championship
- 5K Run
- Kids’ Fun Run (1/2 mile distance for kids 6-12, everyone gets a ribbon!)
- T-Shirt Design Contest
- Corporate Team Competition
- 14 Bands planned to line the 20K course
- Post-Race party with live music 9AM-11:30AM
Another exciting enhancement for racers is the use of the ChronoTrack system, which will help simplify the timing process for athletes.
COURSE: Starting on the picturesque New Haven Green, all three courses are flat and fast. The 20 kilometer course winds its way past Yale University, residential neighborhoods, scenic waterfront areas and large city parks.
The 20K course has only 2 minor hills and the rest of the course is pancake flat with few turns. The 5K and 1/2 mile races have no hills.
- Khalid Khannouchi’s and Collen De Reuck’s World Records set in 1998 race attest to the ease of the course. Carol McLatchie and Paul Pilkington set American 20K Masters Records in New Haven. Trina Painter set an American record winning the 1995 race.
- In 1997, Keith Andersen ran the fastest 20K ever by a man in the Master’s division.
A plethora of helpful information, including training tips, directions, and more, is available on the New Haven Roadrace official website.
To register, go to the New Haven Road Race registration page on Active.com.
Planning to run this year? Drop us a note in the comments below. We’d love to post results for our readers/followers here on the blog after the race (photos, too, if you feel like sending them our way…we’ll contact you with submission instructions if you leave us a comment).